Sew Hippo Cuddly Toys:
Whenever a child sees a hippo at a zoo, it becomes the child’s favorite. They want to play with the hippos, but they can’t. However, you can create a personalized hippo toy at your home for your child. Creating a hippo cuddly toy at home is not so difficult. We are assuring you it will be fun making a hippo at home. This blog will guide you through the whole process of creating a hippo toy. Show your people the hippo after sewing it, and tell them you made it yourself. How will it be? Amazing, right? Without wasting any time, we are starting the process of creating hippo toys at home. All you have to do is collect all the necessary material required to sew. Below we are mentioning the materials that you will need.
- A clothing Fabric
- Wooden chopstick
After collecting all the above materials, let’s go down to follow the given instructions for creating the hippo toy.
Guide To Sew Hippo Toy
- Firstly, you have to select the clothing fabric using which you will create the hippo. Use a soft fabric for this purpose. Select colorful fabric as your child will like it. You can take a different colored fabric for the hippo’s tail, footpads, tummy front, and back. Cut two earpieces as well. The rest of the body should be of different colors. Choose any color like blue or gray. For the tail, ear, and foot, you can take a pink or black colored fabric.
- Next, sew the front and back body pieces together.
- Facing the right side, pin both the tummy’s back piece and the tummy front. You have to sew them together and leave a gap open for stuffing. Sew all the sides except one for filing purposes.
- Next, sew the back leg and front leg pieces to the tummy pieces. You will need to sew them from the other side too.
- After this, sew the tailpiece together. You have to turn the right side of the tail out. Use a wooden chopstick to do it.
- Do a little stuffing in the tail. It neither should look flat nor heavy. You have to pin it in position on the back body piece and baste it in place.
- Now, sew the body pieces together.
- Sew the tummy piece to the side headpieces, and then sew the other side.
- You need to pin the snout piece to the tummy and side headpieces. It may take time to pin both pieces together. Take your time but do it carefully. Turn the pieces over and then sew with the snout piece on the bottom. Ensure that the fabric does not wrinkle when you sew it.
- You have to now pin the head gusset piece to the snout and the side headpieces. Like before, turn the pieces over, and sew with the head gusset piece on the bottom. Assure that the fabric doesn’t wrinkle while sewing the pieces together.
- While using the safety eyes, you need to insert all those in a series. You can insert these safety eyes after sewing the hippo, but it is tricky. So, you can insert the safety eyes now.
- Take the earpieces together and sew them and turn the right sides out. You have to fold the open edge of the ears into the center and tack them. The cloth will not move, and you will be able to sew properly.
- You will have to sew the ears in position. Please take care that the fold of the ear must line up with the seam. Join the head gusset and side headpiece on each side and sew it. Tack them in place at the end.
- Sew the head gusset piece, and head to the body pieces at the neck seam. You can do this by turning the head right side out and positioning it facing into the body.
- Place the tummy pieces, and pin them in place. Match the legs with the tail end then.
- You have to sew the legs closely on one side and take the other side to do the same.
- Next, sew the side seams, front leg, and the Head’s side.
- Please pin the footpad and then sew it to the bottom of each leg. Match the markings on the footpad with the front and back seams on the leg.
- You have to clip the rest of the seams before turning your hippo right side out. Push the Head and the legs out through the stuffing gap.
- Firmly stuff the Head and legs with toy stuffing. You have to keep filing the rest of the body until there are no wrinkles in the fabric. The gap on the stomach needs to be stitched with a ladder stitch.
- Lastly, you have to cut a flower and sew it onto the hippo. You can also do embroidery work. Sew the eyes using embroidery.
- If you have used a stretchy fabric to sew the hippo, you can create little toes using the embroidery thread.
It was all about how you have to cut and sew the cloth to make a hippo toy for your child. You can create many different toys in similar ways, but there will be a slight difference in the cutting pattern. But as of now, sew the hippo on your own and gift it to your child.
The blog explains a complete guide to seeing a hippo toy. Follow the instructions mentioned above to sew it properly. There are many more pretty toy patterns that you can make on your own such as stuffed dog patterns, a 36 inch teddy bear, etc. Try out something new this time and sew the hippo cuddle toy for your kid.